Phone: (403) 394-3959
Aubrey was born and raised in Lethbridge. She moved to Edmonton to complete her B.Sc in Molecular Genetics at the University of Alberta and, under the supervision of Dr. Tracy Raivio, gained molecular and microbiological research experience identifying genes that specifically affect virulence through the Locus of Enterocyte Effacement in Enteropathogenic E. coli (EPEC). She returned to Lethbridge and completed her M.Sc. in Neuroscience at the University of Lethbridge under the supervision of Dr. Bruce McNaughton while also employed as a research technician at the Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience. The focus of her thesis and continued research role at the CCBN is the development and use of immediate-early gene markers of neural activity in the brain.
- 2008 – B.Sc with First Class Honors in Molecular Genetics, University of Alberta
- 2015 – M.Sc. in Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge (Thesis Title: “Non-Uniform Excitability of Hippocampal Neurons Affords Weak Predictability of Future Immediate-Early Gene Expression Patterns”)
- Witharana, W.K.L., Cardiff, J., Chawla, M.K., Xie, J.Y., Alme, C., Eckert, M., Lapointe, V., Demchuk, A.M., Maurer, A.P., Trivedi, V., Sutherland, R.J., Guzowski, J.F., Barnes, C.A., & McNaughton, B.L. (2016). Nonuniform allocation of hippocampal neurons to place fields across all hippocampal subfields. Submitted to Hippocampus.
- Demchuk, A.M., Eckert, M.J., & McNaughton, B.L. (2014, November). Lack of correlation of immediate-early gene expression patterns in the rat hippocampus during sleep and during the subsequent exploration of a novel environment. Poster presented at Society for Neuroscience Annual International Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Montes-Rodríguez, C.J., Lapointe, V., Trivedi, V., Lu, Q., Demchuk, A.M., & McNaughton, B.L. 2013. Postnatal development of Homer1a in the rat hippocampus. Hippocampus, 23, 890-902.
- Witharana, W.K., Xie, J.Y., Alme, C., Cardiff, J., Lapointe, V., Demchuk, A., Sutherland, R.J., and McNaughton, B.L. (2013, November). How the hippocampus allocates cells to places: random draw with replacement? Poster presented at Society for Neuroscience Annual International Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Clark, B.J., Trivedi, V., Lapointe, V., Demchuk, A., McDonald, R.J., and McNaughton, B.L. (2012, October). Impact of Alzheimer’s Disease Co-Factor Combinations on Object-Place Coding in Hippocampal-Entorhinal Circuitry. Poster presented at Campus Alberta Neuroscience Symposium, Edmonton, AB.